Third year 4 week rotation, required experiences include:
- 2 half days with Stan Herring, MD or his partners at Puget Sound Sports and Spine Physicians. Dr. Herring is the Chief of the Harborview Spine Center and Head Spine Physician for the Seattle SeaHawks. The group is considered one of the most well qualified sports and spine specialists in the world. He has been teaching our residents for years.
- 2 half days per week in the Mother Joseph Clinic at Swedish working with orthopedists who are volunteering their time and knowledge to care for indigent patients referred to this clinic from local ERs and Community Health Centers. Our residents see these patients primarily, present the patients to the orthopedists, review films, CTs and MRIs with the orthopedists, cast and do injections when appropriate and first assist in surgery on patients that they have seen. Unlike most orthopedic offices where residents mostly watch, our residents really get involved here and these orthopedists love to teach.
- 2 half days per month with a Hand Specialist in the Mother Joseph Clinic, similar experience as above with entirely patients with hand injuries.
- 2 half days per month in the Swedish Pediatric Orthopedic Clinic seeing pediatric patients with mostly acute soft tissue and bony injuries. This experience helps residents learn the big differences in the assessment and treatment of pediatric orthopedic issues
- Finally, residents spend 1 half day per week with Joe Shamseldin, MD, FAAFP, our faculty member with CAQ in Sports Medicine. He is the Head Team Physician for Seattle University, NCAA Div I. He sees patients with orthopedic and sports medicine issues with our residents, allowing the resident to conduct the history and physical examination while he watches. They then discuss the differential diagnoses, imaging tests of choice in follow up, outline for the patients their precise diagnoses and rehabilitation plans. Residents love the one on one teaching. Dr. Shamseldin is here full time and is always available to our residents for sports medicine and orthopedic teaching.